Tuesday, October 14, 2008

And Tonight's Topic... Girl Crush!

That's right... Girl Crush! To get a true understanding of this entry, I need you to understand what I mean by girl crush. An article in the NY Times Style & Fashion 'She's So Cool, So Smart, So Beautiful: Must be A Girl Crush' Published August 11, 2005 by Stephanie Rosenbloom explains it as:

"a phrase that many women in their 20's and 30's use in conversation, post on blogs and read in magazines. It refers to that fervent infatuation that one heterosexual woman develops for another woman who may seem impossibly sophisticated, gifted, beautiful or accomplished. And while a girl crush is, by its informal definition, not sexual in nature, the feelings that it triggers - excitement, nervousness, a sense of novelty - are very much like those that accompany a new romance."
I can only remember having a girl crush once before. It was on a girlfriend who I modeled with in the early 90's. She was kooky, fun and cool. We hung out in the tri-state area between shows... being silly & just having honest-to-goodness fun (please don't go there.. because we didn't). It is true that these things are fleeting because now I haven't a clue to where she is or what she's doing now... nor she, I.

Fastford a few years, my newest girl crush has lasted for quite a while... maybe a few years even. Perhaps this one has lasted so long because she is consistently evolving. My girl crush has a very public life, but always appears strong & stable. Plus she is cute to boot~I just love her! I joke with my dh (dear husband) if somehow we were to meet; and she showed the least bit of interest in moi; I'd have to give it some thought. LOL seriously, like that will ever happen... hahahhaa! It's all in fun & jest I assure him... but "hmmm..." LOL

Angelina Jolie

Funny thing is, in my travels, I find many guys who agree: single, married, black, white... it doesn't matter... However, women look puzzled. I haven't figured it out yet.. but I think my girlfriends silent thoughts are a combination of "...and she said that out loud" and "I could never say that" and perhaps a little "Hmmm never thought of it.... hmmm" LOL

In any case, there it is... out in the open. Angelina Jolie is beautiful, A Mom, A Humanitarian & A great Actor with kick-ass roles! ...And I have a girl crush on her!




Question for the ladies...
Have you ever had a girl~crush? If so, Who?

Conversely, my husband said.. "I don't think I ever had a "boy-crush on anybody..." I quickly replied.. "And I don't ever expect you to!" Yes, some double standards will never change! ;)

1 comment:

Sherry Goodloe said...

I would have to say my crush is on Sonja Sohn from The show The Wire.